#Veganuary Chickpea Potato Poha
Hello 2017! Welcome January and roll on Veganuary.
Let me begin by wishing each and every one of you the happiest of New Years. Hope you all have had the best 2016 and here is to 2017 being another wonderful year with an extra portion of peace, love and harmony.
Now I've got a few friends that have signed up to Veganuary, 31 days of being Plantbased. Why not? Some of them are doing it for the animals. Some want to challenge themselves and try something out of the comfort zone. Others are looking for a healthy way to start off their 2017. It's fun, it will certainly be colourful and anything but boring.
So to help them along the way, I've decided to post easy, simple and nutritious recipes.
First up, an Indian breakfast recipe you can eat for lunch or dinner too. Takes 7-10mins tops and it is packed with good stuff too.
Poha is a Maharashtrian flat rice available online or at any superstore nowadays. There are countless variations for Poha and you can add whatever veggies tickle your fancy babes.
I opted for chickpeas + Potato poha. Protein, carbs and good fats. Let's go.
This serves 2. You can also freeze it.
2 Cups Poha
1 Cup Chickpea
1 Cup Potatoes- Chopped
1 large Onion- finely chopped
1 Beef Tomato- Chopped
1/2 Teaspoon Ginger- finely chopped
1/4 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder or Fresh Turmeric
Handful Curry Leaves
1 Green Chilli- Finely Chopped
Pink Salt to taste
1 1/2 Teaspoon of Raw Coconut Oil
- Wash the Poha really gently as you do not want it to break. I washed it twice and let it sit with a pinch of turmeric powder.
- In a pan, add in the coconut oil along with the mustard seeds. Let it crackle but make sure it doesn't burn.
- Add in the onions, potatoes and chickpeas and give it a stir. Let this sauté for about a minute or so.
- Now add in the Curry Leaves and Green Chillies for another minute or so.
- Cover and steam the above for about 2-3 minutes
- Check that the potatoes are cooked through. If you feel like it needs another a minute, put the lid back on.
- Turn the heat off, add the poha and let it steam for a minute or two.
- Give it a gentle stir, sprinkle some tomatoes, coriander and a squeeze of lime juice
Et voila there it is. A quick and easy meal that will make you smile, keep you warm and give you good energy too. Have this with a beautiful glass of Golden Milk and you are so sorted babes.
I am always reaching for this when I have a full on day and it hits the spot like a G.
Namaskaaram and have yourselves the most magical day